Located at the intersection of Old York-Hampton Highway and Hornsbyville Road, Grafton Baptist Church has been a meeting place for a body of Christian worshippers for 153 years. This Church had its beginning when Mr. John Steadman, a caucasin, gave two acres of land on which a building of worship was erected and used by black and white worshippers of the Baptist faith. A small slab building was erected and used alternately by the two races until some dissatisfaction arose between the two groups.
The white members sold their interest to the black members anf moved to Tampico, now Hornsbyville. The black members continued to worship in the slab building until 1889. In that year it was torn down and replaced by a straight up and down board structure. In 1907 the church burned to the ground. Until the next church as built, services were held in "Diggs Hall," also called "Peach Grafton." A new and better weatherboard structure was erected and used until 1987 when it was demolished to make way for this present building. Services were held in the Masonic Hall in Yorktown until the new church was completed. September 1988, Rev. Morrison and congregation formed a motorcade from Masonic Hall in Yorktown to the new church in Grafton.
The first recorded ordained pastor of Grafton Baptist Church were Rev. Thomas Knapper. Following Rev. Knapper was: Rev. Charles A. Green-pastored 35 years, Rev. R.H. Green, Rev. Metz, Rev. D.W. Harris, Rev. John Lovett who retired, Rev. E.J. Jones-died, Rev. Thomas H. Ashe, served for 5 years, Rev. G.T. Hall, Rev. Charles W. Green (Jan 1949-1952), Rev. William James Beckett-1953-1954; Rev. Boston W. Morrison, Jr. 1954-1990 (36 years), Rev. George R. Gholson (Nov.1990-Sept. 2012).
Groups formed under Rev. Gholson were: a basketball team, the singles club, WDIFY (We'll Do it For You), the Fellowship of Christian Woman, two new members classes, Suffer the Little Children, HYPE (Helping Youth Prepare Eternally), a Christian Education Board, Drama Ministry, Praise Dance Team, Computer Ministry, Men's and Women's Retreat, an annual Prayer Vigil and a Prison Ministry.
The mortgage burning ceremony for the original portion of the present structure was held on December 4, 1994. The growth of the church made necessary the purchase of a fourteen passenger van and a twenty-three passenger bus for transportation, the purchase of property next door to expand the parking lot, and building an addition to the church that more than double the size of he edifice. On Sunday, November 14, 1999, Rev. Gholson and the church members held the ground breaking ceremony for the new addition. The mortgage for the two story section was paid in full April 5, 2009.
In 1996, a giant step was taken on the furst Sunday in October when deaconesses assisted the deacons in serving communion. In 1997, two ministers were licensed to preach Minister Wayne Tucker and Minister Carolyn Holmes. One woman, Rev. Barbara Dudley has the honor of being the first woman ordained in the church. Four more woman been licensed to preach. Minister Rebecca Jones was licensed on February 29, 2004, Minister Victoria Montgomery on October 31, 2004, Minister Cheryl Tucker, On October 1, 2006 and Minister Jacquelyn Gholson in 2011.
Rev. Gholson passed away suddenly September 8, 2012, just 14 days prior to his twenty second year of service at Grafton Baptist. Reverend Reginald Bagley was selected to serve as interim pastor from September 2012 to July 2013 when he was elected pastor elect. He was installed as pastor on October 6, 2013.